Monday, March 30, 2009

A lesson learned

I have been a wellspring of emotion recently...and not the kind of emotion most would expect from me. Instead of tears, I have been so easily offended and angered by a wide range of things....the biggest thing being not feeling as if I'm good enough to be friends with certain people.
I have been very lucky in my life, I was raised to know my self worth in Christ alone and never really dealt with any big self esteem issues. I am 26 years old and am feeling like I'm back in middle school. Now, I don't want to be too candid, b/c I don't want to call out the people that have brought these feelings to the surface, that's not fair, since this really is a personal issue I need to work out myself...but I did want to release some of the things that have welled up inside of me for the past week or so.
It amazes me how satan works...he sneaks into the most hidden places and rears his nasty head at just the right moment...but even more amazingly is how God works...He wraps Himself up in all of you, so that even in the most hurtful and emotional of times, you are comforted....b/c He fills you with the truth. Whether it be from His word, or family member or a friend...He delivers a perfect peace at just the right moment! I have been in prayer over my recent attitude and the Lord directed me to Colossians 4:6~"Let your conversation be always full of GRACE, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer to everyone." I love the simple way the Message says it: "Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, or cut them out."
At first when I read over the verse and began studying it, I was a little confused as to why God had pointed me here b/c Paul, the writer of Colossians is speaking to the church at Colosse and Laodicea and he is instructing them on how one should speak to a non-christian. As I studied deeper, I realized that the Lord was showing me how I am to treat others,regardless of whether or not they proclaim Him as their Savior, so that I would be treated the same way. Even though it was originally intended for a non believer, as a follower of God we should always be an authentic representation of His message. Jesus is all about love, acceptance, trust, etc....in my mind that is also what a true friend is all about, I mean, isn't Christ supposed to be or BEST friend?! So I am going to try my hardest to really live this verse. I may have had my feelings hurt, but instead of pouting about it any longer I am going to love that much more. I hope this made some sort of sense....and helps refocus your heart and mind as it did mine....I love the Lord, He is so good!!

No comments: