Friday, March 20, 2009

Just Call me Martha!!

I just have to brag on myself for a moment....Last night I made "no sew" pillow slipcovers for the pillows on our couch and love seat in the family room. Now, the reason I am so excited is the fact that I did this all on my own! Every time I have ever made anything with fabric, like the valances in our family room, I have to have my mother's help....and that is pretty embarrassing when you're 26, married with a child to have to call up your mother and ask for her to come save the day...
Now some of you may be wondering why I am so pumped about a project that really took no talent what-so-ever, but once you see how cool this pillow slipcover is, and how inexpensive it could be (depending on the type of fabric you purchase)....you will be so excited to make some of your own!!

1. First measure your pillow length and width wise. (My pillows are square and are 20x20). Then you double the measurement so that you have enough material to cover each pillow. (That meant my fabric needed to be cut into a 40x40 square).

2. After cutting your fabric, lay it down with a corner facing north (like a diamond) and place the pillow in the middle of the fabric. ( I also ironed my fabric before this step, but you can't tell b/c I had to undo the slipcover to be able to take step by step pictures).


3. Then, take the first corner and fold over the pillow.

4. Next, take the corner underneath the first corner you folded and fold it over the pillow, but this time fold the fabric so that you don't see a point.

5. Finally, gather the last two corners and tie them together into a knot. Tuck the ears of the fabric underneath the folds, to hide any frays.

6. Enjoy your pillows!!!


Isn't that so easy!! I know, I'm a genious....but really I have to thank curbly.com and their "knot another no-sew pillow slipcover" pattern. I hope this has inspired you to be creative and thrifty...there is nothing better to make yourself burst with pride, than doing something fabulous on a budget!!

1 comment:

Kelli W said...

Your pillows look SUPER cute!! I have some material that I bought to make pillows, and I have been procrastinating because I don't want to get the sewing machine out!! I will have to try this no sew one!!