Wednesday, February 25, 2009

American Idol

Okay, I've decided to divulge a secret to all of you...I am addicted to American Idol. I have been since the very 1st season. I still remember being in my college bible study leaders dorm room watching Kelly Clarkson win the coveted title of American Idol....the next Wednesday the band I sang with in college, Rev 7 performed in chapel and I admit...I did my very best to copy Clarkson's wardrobe from the finale! I know, pretty pathetic! Anyway, with the new season really just getting started, I've been doing some thinking and I've come to the conclusion that I'm jealous of these people. Everyone who goes out and auditions for this show has something I don't....guts. Who cares if most people who try out are awful, at least they took a chance, followed their dreams, took that step of faith....I cannot say that I have ever done that in my life.
This has started me thinking not only about myself, but like most things now days, it has got me thinking about Katelyn. I really want to be an encouraging mom. I want Katelyn to feel like she can do anything, try anything, be GREAT at anything that she sets her mind to. Now, this cannot go with out saying that I am going to be an honest mom, so let's say for example she wants to audition for something that she just isn't very talented in and she asks my opinion...I'm going to tell her the truth, because I love her. I just don't want Katelyn to miss out on something because she thinks she "can't". I am declaring that from this moment on the word "cannot" is no longer allowed in this house.
This brings me to an update on Katelyn's many milestones. Today, Katelyn cruised down the coffee table! She hasn't even got crawling down yet! My little girl is very strong, and she was pulling up on the coffee table and was about half way up, she looked toward me for some help the rest of the way...I gave her a little boost and then she was standing up holding onto the edge of the table. She was smiling and I was giggling at her and all of a sudden she took 3 little steps toward me! I was so excited and she was too that she let go and put her arms out and laughed, then I had to catch her before she hit the ground...but in the end, she had a very BIG day! Now, who knows if this will happen more regularly or not....as I said before she hasn't crawled yet, although she scoots very well!
I was so proud of her, that once I put her to bed and started watching American Idol, my mind started wandering to thoughts of all the other "firsts" that will come along in her life....and I thought I would share this one with you! I had her stand holding onto the coffee table one more time so I could get a photo to share as well...isn't she so BIG!
I hope this small "step" has brought a smile to your face as it did mine....and maybe, it will make you feel like you can do anything you set your mind to!! I believe in you and so does your Heavenly Father!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great post :-) thanks for the thoughts and encouragement!